Sunday, June 17, 2007

True Prayer

In our lives--in the middle of tight schedules, and struggles of daily living--it is so easy for us to lose our true prayer life. Now, what happen is not that we are not praying at all. As the matter of fact, we do. But it is what drives our prayer life which really concerns me. I'm really grateful for the fact that even in our limitation and not-so-right approach towards prayer, He still a compassionate and faithful God, who answers graciously. Not that we think only big matters we need to hand over to God in prayer. Every tiny bits of our life matters, as a matter of fact, needs to be commit into God's hand. And regarding Him as our Provider, it is a right thing to do for us to come to the Lord in prayer for guidance, help, and blessings. It's a good habit, for we couldn't carry on without Him. But what I want to share here is beyond that.

What I got reminded this week, is the proportion of the reason behind our approaching God. Giving thanks every time we want to eat, well, that's one of habit. Praising Him every time we feel the joy of the Lord, that's another habit to cultivate. But most of the time, we're hurry to say our prayer, because there is a problem in our lives. It may be small, it may be huge. It may be a longing or need; it may be a uncomfortable situation we want to be gone as soon as possible. It could be also prayer request for those who dear to our hearts. Not that saying all these prayers are wrong or forbidden. God really wants us to trust Him with the matters of our lives. But more than that, He longs to connect with our hearts. And we are created for a close relationship with Him.

This truth should immerse our prayer lives also. When we approach Him in prayer, what are really driving us towards Him? Problems? Fears? Or deep longings for Him?

When I come to learn this truth, I realize somehow, there are some misunderstanding about God which I need to renounce. One of the misunderstanding which often slipped into our mind is that for every problems which occurred in our life, God allows it to bring us closer to Him. No wonder we often equates prayer with petition. Yes, problems which occur may draw us closer (as at the same time, problems have the same probabilities to draw us away from God). What I learn is, God do have longing for us to draw closer to Him (far greater than what we can ever imagine really) but truly, He is not manipulating situation to take advantage of it, as our thoughts deceived us. How do I learn it? He has proved it more than 2.000 years ago. If problem is what we need to draw closer to God, Jesus did not have to come to this earth. The reason we are facing problems is firstly, we have a broken relationship with Him. It's not the problem which draw us closer to God. In the beginning, it is our state apart from God which draw problem into our lives. (You may want to read the Genesis to learn this truth).

Now that we have a restored relationship with God, through Jesus Christ, how do we approach God? The essence of prayer is not in the beauty of the words spoken, nor the length of time we spent. It's in connecting our hearts with His. Getting to know Him as He is. More than just having faith in His power, or hoping for His help. How do we draw near to Him, with a full heart, longing only for Him, to reveal Himself to us?

By night on my bed I sought the one I love; I sought him, but I did not find him. "I will rise now," I said, "And go about the city; In the streets and in the squares I will seek the one I love." I sought him, but I did not find him. (Song of Solomon 3:1-2-NKJV)

How many times do we come to the Lord in prayer, we long to seek Him and He alone? Forgetting our daily lives matter. Not saying a word of petition. Just come to meet Him. And talk to Him, and listen to Him, to know Him better. To really connect with Him. That's the true communion: intimacy with God. That's what true lovers do. Not coming to gain advantage of another. But simply come to relate, to connect, and to know another better. And that seeking is a passionate seeking. Just like the Shulamite in the verses above. She was seeking with all her heart for her love, till she went about the city, the streets and the squares. How passionate are we when we come to God in prayer? I'm not talking about when we desperately need for help, nor when we are joyful receiving blessings. I'm talking about a passion when we come to Him in prayer to have communion with Him. To really know Him and spend time with Him and grow in love with Him.

I'm still learning. When I think of my own prayer life, I have to admit, I have failed so many times to really come to God in prayer for the sake of knowing Him alone. Thank God, He is so gracious, that He taught me this truth. He reminds me of the longing of His heart for His children. As He promised:

Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the Lord, (Jeremiah 29:12-14a-NKJV)

The final question now is: Will I come to receive His promise? Will you?

Lord Jesus, thank You for the chance of coming to You in prayer. Please forgive me, for so many times I come with my list of petitions, and problems to solve. I forgot Your heart's desire in the first place is to commune with me. Let me long for You wholeheartedly. Grant me the fire of passion to know You more. Above and beyond my needs. Draw me closer for who You are, not for what I think I need. Jesus, help me to live my life in love with You. Let me pray, first and for all, in deep longing to meet You. In the name of Jesus, I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analytics

Related Posts with Thumbnails